Thursday, March 15, 2012

And the Diagnosis Is...

The GOOD NEWS:  Joshua is looking so much better today.  Since this all started three days ago, he has steadily improved.  He's so alert and seems happy, and his color is improving.  He did not have any bradycardia or apnea episodes for over 24 hours.  Tonight he weighs 2 lb 12 oz (1240 grams).  So even though he's only getting nutrition through his PICC line, he's growing well. 

The BAD NEWS:  He now has an official diagnosis:  NEC.  Yes, it's what we didn't want, BUT it's subclinical, or mild NEC, so it's supposedly not that big of a deal.  He'll get another x-ray tomorrow since his tummy still seems to hurt and is a little tense (but improved). His cultures all came back negative, so the theory of an infected PICC line is out the window.  In case there was a false negative test, they are continuing amp and gent (antibiotics) for at least 7 days to cover sepsis and NEC.  It's not surprising since he had so many weeks in utero without blood to his gut because his brain got preferential treatment and got most of the blood flow.  They are going to continue holding the breastmilk feeds for 5 days and re-evaluate. 

Meanwhile...I'm a milking machine, even though he can't use it yet.  My freezer is overflowing, and Joshua's nurse told me they probably won't be needing anymore milk at the hospital.  Last night I tried going the whole night without pumping, and it was heavenly.  I slept like a baby...until I woke up in pain at 7:00.  Then I pumped 14 oz!  That's a new record.  I had to stop and empty the bottles in the middle so they wouldn't overflow.  Much better than the 2-3 oz I'd pump with Jeremiah.  I'd say that's brag worthy!  :)

One thing I've learned many times in life is don't wallow in your self pity because there is always someone out there who has it worse off than you.  Today I was talking to another mom I met in the Ronald McDonald room at the hospital.  Her son was born in mid January, full term, and he had to have major surgery when he was 2 days old, removing part of his intestine and reattaching his pancreas.  He has been in the NICU since then, and he has several more weeks to go before he'll be discharged.  She has 3 other kids at home, and they live two hours away!  Her husband works full time, so her mother in law is taking care of the other kids while she is staying at the Ronald McDonald house near the hospital or staying in her son's room.  On weekends, her husband brings the kids to visit.  I guess my daily 35 min drive each way isn't anything to complain about!

I played dress up with Joshua today and took some pics.  Here are a few of my favorites.








3 comments:

  1. He looks so much bigger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was from me. And btw, way to be the milking machine!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to you so much as I think back on my NICU days with Siah. We are praying for you and James and your sweet boys.

    ReplyDelete