Thursday, March 22, 2012

Workin' It For the Camera

Hi!  The big news tonight:  Joshua has officially gained one whole pound!  Tonight he was up to 3 lbs 5 oz (1490 g).  He is tolerating his feedings well, and he is up to 6 mL every 3 hours.  His belly is nice and soft and nontender, and he's looking great.  There is a fine line between trying to advance the feeds quickly in order to get the PICC line out, which is how he's getting most of his nutrition and is a potential source of infection, and advancing slowly enough to not overwhelm his gut.  Since he has been doing so well the last few days, tonight the dr just wrote an order to advance an additional 1 mL per feed every 9 hours instead of every 12 hours.  We'll see how he does with that.  Yesterday I forgot to mention a milestone, completion of antibiotics.  He finished his 10 day course.  It's good to have that behind us. 

James' cousin, Shauna, is an amazing photographer.  Here's her website:  shaunabethphotography.com. She came to visit Joshua today and did a photo shoot for us.  Ya know, I tried to prep Joshua for his big modeling debut. We worked on smiling and everything.  I used all my expertise gained from that one season (ok, maybe two, but that's all I'm admitting to) when I had an addiction to America's Next Top Model... I coached him on the smeyes (smiling with just your eyes), turning the right way to make the light work for him, knowing his best angle, looking fierce, all that good stuff.  He even showed me a great Blue Steel that would put Derek Zoolander to shame.  That was last night.  Today, wuddya know...he slept the whole time.  At one point, I tried to gently nudge him awake, and he was like, "Aw Mom, can't you see I'm trying to grow here, and I do it best asleep!?   Enough already!"  Ok, I can take a hint.  Oh, of course, once Shauna put the camera away, he was suddenly wide awake and alert.  Funny how that works.  He's already trying to show me he is going to have a mind of his own.   Fine by me...I figure it'll keep things interesting.  I'm excited to see how the pictures will turn out (and I'll definitely post them when they're ready).   

That's about it for now.  Thanks for following along.  Good night!

1 comment:

  1. Karrn, I got a sneak preview of the pics - they are precious!! Good to see you and be able to give you a hug. Please let us know if you need anything (prayers you have already-every day!)
    Linda

    ReplyDelete