Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Baby Miracle Bales

Just as I had hoped, here's a nice "boring" update for you.  Things still look great with the blood flow situation.  All of the readings fell into the normal range, so I got sent back home!  It sure has been nice to be home. After spending the weekend in the hospital, I appreciate it so much more.  It's amazing how I can sleep so much better here!  The next ultrasound will be on Friday. 

On Monday, the ultrasonographer told me, "the way this baby responds so well to steroids, be careful; after he's born, he may want to move to California and be governor!"  Of course these steroids are completely different from the "muscle" steroids, but I still thought it was funny.

A couple of people asked me why we can only get two rounds of steroids during pregnancy.  The answer is because any more than that can stunt the baby's growth (and our baby is already small).  It's a fine line of risk vs. benefit, and studies have shown two courses to be optimal.  I have now used up both doses, so if things go bad again, there are no magic bullets left.  If the blood flow becomes absent again, the plan would be to admit me to the hospital for continuous monitoring until the flow reverses or the brain sparing becomes severe (where the blood all gets shunted to the baby's brain, like it was starting to do on Friday, causing admission), then do a c-section.  That negative progression can take a day or a week; it's pretty unpredictable.  It doesn't do me any good to worry about all that, so I don't stress over it.  I'm just happy for each day we can prolong this honeymoon.

Here's today's quote of the day from a different ultrasonographer.  "When this baby is born, his middle name better be Miracle because that's exactly what he is!  I can't believe you are still pregnant!" 

I love it!  Yes, he is definitely a miracle.  Thank you all for keeping us in your prayers!

2 comments:

  1. great news karrn. stay the course.
    Kitty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm addicted to your blog, Karrn. I am praying every day for you guys!!! -Suzy Woodward

    ReplyDelete