Sunday, February 26, 2012

In His Time

Have you ever had one of those moments where God puts some unsuspecting person in your path to teach you a major life lesson when you least suspect it but most need it?  I happened to me during my senior year of college.  It was so many years ago, but I can picture it like it was yesterday.  MY plan for my life was to go to college, then straight to medical school, then residency, then get married, have kids, and live happily ever after.  God had a slightly different plan for me.

I was pretty confident in my medical school application, so I didn't make any back-up plan beside starting medical school the fall after I graduated from college.  Well, it was spring, and I had received several rejection letters from admission committees.  One by one, I was faced with a letdown.  Finally, I got my last letter in the mail, and it was a disappointingly small envelope.  Sure enough, it started with, "We regret to inform you..."  I was at a total loss.  Now what?  God, how could you do this to me when I thought you made it so clear you wanted me to be a doctor?  I felt so confused, not knowing what to do with my life, or at least the next year while I reapplied.  It was a rough day as I tried to figure out my new plan, and I prayed for God to show me what to do, but I didn't hear Him.  Where was He when I needed Him most?  I was so frustrated. 

That night, the phone rang.  In my semi-depressed state, I almost let it go to voicemail, but I picked up at the last minute.  It was Alma, the mother of my pastor's wife, someone who I barely knew but always respected.  She had never called me before.  She said, "I was just thinking of you, and I thought I'd call to see how you are doing."  She had no idea about my rejection letter. 

I told her about my rough day, and in tears, I said, "I feel like I'm driving down the freeway of life in my little Dodge Omni, and I'm stuck behind a semi."  When I drive, I always like to be in front of cars if possible, so I can see the whole road.  I went on to say, "I'm stuck behind this semi, and I can't see the road of life in front of me, and it's so frustrating not knowing where I'm going."  That was the extent of my little word picture.

Well, Alma had a different perspective.  She immediately said, "Karrn, have you considered what that semi represents?  You think it's in your way and blocking your view, but that semi could be Jesus leading you down the road.  Think about it.  The semi knows where it's going.  It's not going to go off the road.  Even if it has to stop suddenly, your brakes will stop quicker than the semi's will, so you won't rear end it.  It'll block the wind for you. Just sit back and draft off it.  Rather than trying to move around it to pave your own path, let Jesus lead you where He wants you to go.  This is all in His plan for your life."  This is paraphrased, but I remember she said it so eloquently and heartfelt.

That was exactly what I needed to hear, and I know it wasn't just chance that Alma called when she did.  God had a message He wanted to tell me, and that was how He did it.  I ended up spending the next year having a blast and traveling the world as a flight attendant for Northwest Airlines.  It quenched my thirst for adventure so that I was content to settle down and spend every night studying in the library the following year when I started back up in school and focus on the next several years of training without feeling like I was missing out on life. 

A couple weeks after talking with Alma, I went on a spontaneous road trip to Colorado to see a friend graduate from the Air Force Academy.  The pomp and circumstance of that ceremony made me realize I wanted to join the Air Force.  I was able to successfully apply for the Air Force Health Professions Scholarship Program since I got accepted into school early the next fall, something that wouldn't have been possible the previous year with the spots filling up before spring time.  I later met James during my residency at Eglin Air Force Base, and it makes me wonder how we would have met if I hadn't joined the military.  It's amazing how, looking back, things seemed to have all fallen into place so perfectly, even though I thought it was the end of the world at that dark time when I thought God had left me.  He was right there the whole time, perfectly orchestrating my future, just waiting for me to hand over the reins to Him.

A praise song from years ago comes to mind...

In His time.  In His Time. 
He makes all things beautiful in His time. 
Lord, please show me everyday,
As you're teaching me your way,
That you do just what you say,
In your time. 

In your time.  In your time. 
You make all things beautiful in your time. 
Lord, my life to you I bring. 
May each song I have to sing,
Be to you a lovely thing,
In your time.

1 comment:

  1. Grow baby grow! Not only will he have a great picture at his 18th birthday/graduation but a story for the ages.
    p.s. that's so cool you were a Northwest flight attendant! My father was a customer service agent for Northwest in Seattle (now he's working in the Delta cargo office). My mother was a flight attendant for TWA, but spent the lion's share of her years in customer service too.

    ReplyDelete