Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Tehran Initiative


I am a huge fan of Joel C. Rosenberg.  After reading (and loving!) all of his other political thrillers (The Last Jihad, The Last Days, etc), I was excited to start his new series last year with The Twelfth Imam.  It was an edge of your seat thriller that did not disappoint, and it ended in a total cliff hanger. 

A few weeks ago, I noticed the next book in the series, The Tehran Initiative on display in our church library, so I jumped right on it.  The Twelfth Imam, who the Muslims believe is their messiah, is gaining a strong following throughout the Middle East.  The action from the first book continues as CIA operative David Sharazi is sent back into Iran to try to hunt down its nuclear warheads and stop their production before Iran has a chance to fire them on Israel...or will Israel make a preemptive strike first?  Once again, Rosenberg tells a story that could be ripped right from today's (or tomorrow's) headlines, highlighting the tension in the Middle East and the fragility of relations between Israel and its neighbors, as well as the intricacy of the United States' involvement. 

The Tehran Initiative was a great read, but I don't think it held my attention quite as well as its prequel, The Twelfth Imam.  The initial action sequence was very exciting, as was the ending, but it dragged a little bit in the middle.  Overall, it was well worth sticking through the whole book to see how the plot develops.  Once again, it ended with a cliffhanger, so now I'm bummed I have to wait until the Fall of 2012 to continue the saga.  If you haven't read this series yet, I highly recommend it, but I would recommend waiting until next year, after the next book is released.  That way you can read the whole series back to back, making it easier to follow the characters without waiting a year in between books. 

Overall, I give this 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment