Monday, February 6, 2012

Milking This Honeymoon For All It's Worth

One week after taking the steroid medication, we're still honeymooning!  Today was another great report.  The blood flow resistance is in the upper edge of the normal range, the same as it has been for the last 3 scans.  Of our three perinatologists (or MFM's), today we saw the one we call Dr. Pessimist.  She's a great doctor, and I really like her a lot, but she's the one who we saw on the first day that didn't think we'd make it more than a few days, and her outlook has been a little bleaker than the other two.  She didn't think we'd have a chance to make it to 28 weeks.  Well, we're getting close!  Our little guy turned 27 weeks yesterday!  As James says, Bales' are scrappers.  He's not going to go down without a fight! 

So anyway, Dr. Pessimist gave me a great compliment today.  She told me I was her most compliant patient.  Thanks to the tremendous support from my family and friends, I am able to be compliant.  Without them, it would be impossible with a two year old running around.  My mom has just taken over everything...cleaning, laundry, and caring for Jeremiah, even to the point of doing my pre-baby nesting for me.  James proudly told Dr. P that I am lying down about 23 hours a day, and she was impressed (I suspect she prescribes 22 hours so most patients may do 18-20).  I prefer to view it like Jack Prescott, the creepy bankruptcy lawyer on Minnesota local tv commercials of my childhood, who said, "IT'S ALL I DO, AND I DO IT WELL!"  Why thank you, thank you very much!  It's a tough job being so slothful, but when my baby's health is on the line, I'll do what it takes, especially when that's all I can do to help, keep diverting that blood flow from my extremities to my uterus.  And keep the positive reinforcement coming because that's what keeps me going.  So here's to another three weeks on bed rest, and then three more!

1 comment:

  1. You sound like a real trooper, Karrn! Will continue to pray for patience and miracles here for you and your wee one.

    Maggie Reith (Marin's mom)

    p.s. Marin always shares prayer requests!

    ReplyDelete