Saturday, February 18, 2012

BE STILL! And Make the Most Of the Opportunity.

In case you ever wondered, I'll let you in on a secret.  When it comes to hospital life, it is much better to be the doctor than the patient.  Maybe I'm so far removed from residency that I forgot how bad it is to be on call, but I would even say I prefer resident's hours over being a patient.  At least that's what I thought last night when I was up with insomnia.  All things considered, though, it's not so bad.  My nurse, who deserves to be called "Rosy" for her great outlook, gave me a cheerful greeting as I arrived yesterday, and she said I was given the best room on the unit.  It is the biggest, and it has the best view.  That's funny, I thought, because I was just negatively thinking, "oh great, my view looks out over the parking lot." I waited to see what she thought was so great about it, and she said, "it's so entertaining!  You get to watch all the cars coming and going, and you can see who actually makes a complete stop at that stop sign!  Plus way over to the side, see out there? There are a couple of trees!"  It's all how you choose to see it, and she inadvertently called me out on my initial slightly negative attitude.  Gotta love her for it!

It reminds me of a story I heard years ago.  Two old men shared a hospital room.  One had the bed by the window, and the other couldn't see outside.  The man with the window view described everything happening outside for his roommate.  He excitedly talked about the kids playing hopscotch across the street, the cars going by, the beautiful birds, the spectacular fall colors on the leaves...every day was a new adventure to talk about, and it made the long hours pass by quickly.  Well, the man without the view started to become very jealous of his roommate because he wanted to see it, and he wanted the bed with the window.  One day, his roommate died, and he was sad to lose his friend, but he was excited that he would take over the spot with the window.  Now he could see everything going on for himself.  He moved over to the other bed and opened the curtains...only to see a brick wall.  The other man had made everything up.  He completely turned a negative situation into a positive one by sharing what he thought would help cheer them both up.  All the while, his roommate burned with jealousy for not being able to see it himself.  Since hearing that, I decided I want to be like the man who makes the most of his own situation rather than being jealous of someone else's situation.  So, you should see how fun it is to watch these cars roll through the stop sign!  :)

I would like to share what I read from my devotional called Jesus Calling by Sarah Young. This book has been a great source of comfort and inspiration through all this, and I highly recommend it to everyone, especially if you are going through a difficult time (or even if you're not).  This passage is from February 16th:

"Thank me for the conditions that are requiring you to be still.  Do not spoil these quiet hours by wishing them away, waiting impatiently to be active again.  Some of the greatest works in My kingdom have been done from sick beds and prison cells.  Instead of resenting the limitations of a weakened body, search for My way in the midst of these very circumstances.  Limitations can be liberating when your strongest desire is living close to me.

Quietness and trust enhance your awareness of My Presence with you.  Do not despise these simple ways of serving Me.  Although you feel cut off from the activity of the world, your quiet trust makes a powerful statement in spiritual realms.  My Strength and Power show themselves most effective in weakness."

This is exactly what I have been striving to be like over the past month, and this devotional stated it so eloquently.  I did a Beth Moore Bible study on the book of Revelation last year, and one thing that struck me was the context around it.  John was exiled to the island of Patmos because he refused to stop preaching the gospel.  Talk about persecution!  Imagine going from your normal, busy life, to one essentially in solitary confinement.  How would you handle it?  I'm pretty sure I would grumble and complain and whine with self pity, poor me, and focus on all the things I was missing out on.  But instead, God used that time to give John the vision of the entire book of Revelation and lay out a prophetic map of the end times, no small feat seeing how confusing that book is.  Had he been all self absorbed, he may have missed that incredible opportunity.  I know bedrest is nothing like being exiled on a deserted island, but that story has been inspirational to me.  What is God trying to teach me through this experience?  My whole life has been full of "packing it all in," more goals and opportunities to go after, busy, busy, busy.  Now I have time to focus on Him (yes I know I've always had the time, but I chose to use that time on other things before), and I don't want to blow this opportunity.  Just something for all of us to think about in our own lives.

Isaiah 30:15. This is what the Sovereign Lord, the Holy One of Israel says:  "In repentance and in rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength..."         

Psalm 46:10.  "Be still and know that I am God..."

No comments:

Post a Comment