Tuesday, February 21, 2012

One For the Money


This book was sent to me in a care package for some quick, easy "fluff" reading, which is exactly what it was.  Knowing the movie is out now, I thought it would be good to read it first and eventually check out the movie on DVD.  One For the Money by Janet Evanovich is the first book in a long series featuring the main character, Stephanie Plum.  After getting laid off at her job, Stephanie desperately needs to find a job before she gets evicted from her apartment.  She winds up getting a trial run as a bounty hunter, and her first assignment is a biggie.  She is to bring in Joe Morelli, a man who is wanted for murder and also happens to be someone she has known since childhood.  She comes across some sketchy characters and soon finds her own life in jeopardy. 

Published in the 1990's there are parts of this book that are a little dated, but overall it was a pretty entertaining cat and mouse chase.  I found the overall plot to be predictable, but the main character's internal monologue was pretty entertaining, as was the chemistry between Stephanie and Joe.  It was a little crass at times, but with a setting in a rough part of Jersey, it seemed pretty authentic.  I was also given the 2nd book in the series, and I plan to read that one after I read a couple of other books I have lined up.

I rate this book 3 out of 5 stars.

1 comment: