Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Dr. Pessimist Is Singing a New Tune

Today's ultrasound brought more good news.  The blood flow continues to look good.  "Dr. Pessimist" was flabbergasted that we are STILL in the steroid honeymoon phase.  Initially she told us the good effects would last 3-7 days; it has now been a week and a half.

We had our follow up growth scan (only measured every 3 wks), and the baby is indeed growing!  Three weeks ago, he weighed 15 oz, and now he's a whopping "big boy" of 1 lb 11 oz (or 752 grams).  That's still < 3% on the growth chart (slightly improved from where he was at 24 wks), but it's a great thing that he didn't drop off the curve.  While his body is smaller, his head is normal size for his age, in the 50-60% range, which is typical with IUGR (growth restricted) babies since the blood is preferentially sent to the brain to make sure that grows best.  His abdominal circumference was the smallest part at < 2%, but I figure he just takes after his dad, whose 28" waist is probably < 2% for his age, too!  Ha ha! 

Here's the best part... a direct quote from Dr. P, as she was shaking her head and smiling in disbelief:  "I'm just going to quit making any predictions with you.  I never would have imagined you making it this far.  I was Miss Doom and Gloom at your first appointment, but look at you!  You've proven me wrong every step of the way!"  This is where I had to consciously keep my chest from swelling with pride and remind myself not to gloat.  She went on to say, "you are the most compliant patient we have had in a long time.  And you must be in a completely stress-free environment at home.  Your cortisol levels are probably so low that the blood flow to the uterus is just opened right up.  I can tell.  Some women who get stir crazy, anxious, or uptight just seem to block off that blood supply...whatever magic you're doing, keep doing it!"  This just made my day.  Of course it's not magic.  It's called prayer and faith!  I realize a lot of people who pray a lot and have a lot of faith still have difficulty, so I'm not gloating that my faith is any stronger than anyone elses or that's why things are going so well.  One thing I do know is there are hundreds of people around the world who have been lifting us up in prayer every day, and we can feel it working.  I'm not about to let myself get cocky, because we are far from out of the woods yet, but after our initial "bad news" appointment three weeks ago, I'm amazed at how much more encouraged we are now.

It is definitely a "God thing" that I am very relaxed and stress-free.  A couple of years ago, I would have considered this a mild form of torture, but now God has given me a great mindset to just be content laying around working on my various projects in bed/on the couch.  That alone is a miracle in my opinion!

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8.  There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven...

My friends have been really great at helping me feel encouraged. Yesterday, the ladies from church brought Bible study to me, and it was the coolest thing ever...made my week! It was so fun to see them.  One of these friends was on bedrest for three pregnancies, as early as 11 weeks and much of it was hospitalized.  We both agreed that as a mom, you just do what you have to do, and God gives you what you need to get through it. After hearing her story, I quickly realized I have nothing to complain about. Like any trial you ever go through, there always seems to be someone out there who has it or has had it worse.

2 comments:

  1. So excited to hear continued good news. We will continue praying for you all. You truly have the opportunity to live out "Be still and know that I am God"- LITERALLY. Keep up the faith, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this wonderful news and so enjoy hearing your heart and the victories, struggles, and reality of this pregnancy journey! You are one amazing Mommy! Love to you!

    ReplyDelete