Monday, April 9, 2012

Bath Pictures and Bottle Feeding

Another big milestone today!  Now that Joshua is off high flow oxygen, I got to try to feed him with a bottle.  The key word here is TRY.  He has a long way to go before he masters the whole suck/swallow/breathe thing.  He didn't really get it.  I figure he got about 2 mL (out of 37 mL) of milk in his mouth and probably swallowed 1 mL before he got too tuckered out and fell asleep.  We worked on it for about 20 minutes.  He seemed pretty confused with the whole thing.  Latching on to the breast will probably take awhile.  We tried that earlier, and he just played with it.  But hey, it's a start.

The nurse told me he doesn't think Joshua will be in the hospital much longer, so I should start watching the mandatory videos that parents need to watch before going home.  That was a shocker!  I don't want to think about going home yet because I don't want to be disappointed if it takes a long time.  He is 36 weeks today, and all he has left to prove in order to go home is that he can eat with a bottle or breast and gain weight on that alone.  That can take weeks, so I'm not going to think about discharge too much yet.

Here are some pics from my first time bathing Joshua a few days ago.  This was the day before he transitioned to the crib.  

Joshua is not too excited about getting naked for his bath.

We just put the tub right in his isolette and turned the bed's heat on high to keep him warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment