Sunday, April 22, 2012

Liquid French Fries

Last night the scale wasn't working or available, so the nurse said she was going to weigh Joshua at his next cares time.  I just called in now, and she is on break.  So I still don't have his weight from last night.  I'm so glad it has gotten to the point of his weight being the only big issue we check in on.  We used to ask how many brady episodes (drop in heart rate) or apnea (breath holding) spells he has had, and we haven't had to worry about those things lately.  That being said, I know every time I've breathed my sigh of relief in the past, something bad has happened, so I'm keeping my guard up. 

Yesterday I got to be with Joshua for 3 feeds, and he had one great breastfeeding session then stayed awake for almost three hours.  While I enjoyed playing with him awake, it had its consequences because he slept through the next feeds.  We just used the NG tube rather than trying too hard to rouse him (the best growing comes during that sleep).  He seems to be developing a bit of a circadian rhythm by sleeping all night and being up more during the day.  If he can have his night and day straightened out before he comes home, I'm not complaining. 

They started the MCT oil (liquid french fries) yesterday to try to pack some pounds on him.  There really aren't any risks or drawbacks to using it, but it just adds fat and won't help with head circumference or length.  He's pretty scrawny, so I'm ok if he gets a little more pudginess.  Hopefully it'll show on the scale.

That's about it for now.  All is well!

No comments:

Post a Comment