Friday, April 20, 2012

The Good Ole Days

Last night, I slept through my 1:00 pumping alarm.  I really need an alarm clock of a baby crying because there's not a lot of incentive to wake up to a machine.  I woke up on my own (or I should say "the girls" woke me up) a little after 3:00, and after pumping and laying down for what seemed like only a minute, I left for the hospital at 4:15.  A little after 4:45, I was overcome with deja vu as I walked into the hospital.  I don't know what it was exactly, but the clean, cool, crisp predawn air brought me back to my early morning swimming days.  I remember how excited I'd get to meet James at the pool (that was before we were married) and see what kind of workout he had in store for us gung ho, non-swimmer triathletes.  Back then, by 4:45, we were in the water warming up (or dipping our toes in the water working up the gumption to dive into the chilly water while James was already several hundred yards ahead of us).  This morning, at the same time of day, I was walking into the hospital, and I can't even remember the last time I was in a pool.  Yep, I was struck by a little nostalgia. Sometimes I miss those days, but, as much as I whine about our current situation, I wouldn't change what I have now for any of it. 

I had such a good time with Joshua today.  It was bath day, which is so much fun.  I love how I can now hold him as much as I want and not worry about breaking him or one of his mechanical attachments.   He seems just like a normal newborn baby now.  He loves to cuddle, and he likes it when I sing to him, which must mean he loves me because not many people would tolerate hearing my attempts at singing.  :)  He did really well in his feeds.  At 5:00, he drank for 20 minutes and didn't need any more through his NG tube; same goes for 11:00, when he drank for 22 minutes.  He was pretty sleepy during his 8:00 feed, so he only drank 6 minutes and got the rest through his tube.  We're making great progress!  He doesn't want the bottle much, though, so when I'm not there he usually gets fed through the tube.  Hopefully, that will change, or else I'll have to be there 24/7 to make enough progress to get discharged home. 

James just called in for an update.  Joshua lost weight again, down another 10 grams to 2030 g or 4 lbs 7.6 oz.  The good news is he took most of the bottle for the nurse at his latest feed.  Everyone says this last hurdle (eating and growing) is the hardest and takes the longest to achieve.  I'm working on patience.  We're so close (yet so far).  Thanks for sticking with us.

1 comment:

  1. Go Joshua! Way to feed! Karrn, you are doing GREAT. I love reading your updates each day. :) We continue to pray for your little man. He will be home before you know it!

    ReplyDelete