Thursday, April 12, 2012

Happily Boring Post

I decided it's a good thing when I can't think of anything to write in my blog.  It's good to not have anything to report, off the roller coaster (for now at least).  Joshua is maintaining a status quo.  He is still breathing faster than we'd like to see, but he doesn't look or act sick. 

We had so much fun together today.  He was very alert and responsive, except for the time he spent sleeping during our kangaroo care.  All of his funny faces just crack me up.  I was there for two of his feeding sessions, and we tried breastfeeding each time.  The first time, he nuzzled (as they call it) for about 20 minutes, wide awake and alert, having fun and trying so hard, but he just couldn't latch on.  The second time, he wasn't acting very interested in it, so I didn't force it.  I'm realizing it may be a slow process to get that NG tube out and get home, but we're heading in the right direction. 

When I got there today, I noticed he no longer had the head of his crib elevated, and he was laying level.  I asked the nurse why the position of his crib changed.  He said the doctor requested it because it's one more way to get Joshua ready to go home since he won't have his head elevated at home...another baby step heading in the right direction. 

He only gained 10 grams tonight, up to 1920 grams or 4 lbs 3.7 oz.  Several days ago, he was at 1925 grams, so he really seems to have stalled out on his usual growth rate.  He has been pooping a lot, and the diuretic is doing it's job getting rid of fluid, so maybe we can just chalk it up to that.  I'll ask the doctor tomorrow if that's something we should be concerned about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment