Thursday, May 3, 2012

Dental Fears

I feel like I'm running on fumes right now, so I'm going to keep this short.  Yesterday really wore me out, and sleep deprivation is setting in.  Whaa whaa whaa...but wait. I'm not done whining yet. 

Tomorrow I have to go in for a root canal.  Some people say that's no big deal, but I'm pretty freaked out by the thought of it.  I happen to be the biggest wimp when it comes to dental work.  Years ago, I had a couple of bad experiences with minor procedures that were done without the local anesthesia working, and I've have anxiety about it ever since.  My friend Kara is going in for an induction tomorrow, and I'm envious.  I can honestly say I'd rather be in labor without an epidural than in a dental chair.  Really, I'm not a wimpy person.  I like to consider myself as pretty tough.  But teeth are my Achilles heel.  If you want to pray for me to not be a baby tomorrow, I won't object. 

In case you are thinking, "I checked in to read about Joshua, and I'm stuck wasting my time reading about Karrn's stupid tooth," sorry about that. I'll apply it to Joshua.  An old filling fell out months ago.  I got a quick check by the dentist, and he said the tooth was fine; it just needed a new filling.  We booked the appt for after the holidays, and then our whole pregnancy bedrest thing happened.  Needless to say, when you're faced with life or death decisions and the job of keeping a baby alive, your tooth becomes the least of your priorities.  I canceled the appointment to avoid disrupting bedrest, and then stresses of the NICU life got in the way, so it was months later when I finally made it back in.  By then, the decay was very bad.  Over the past couple of weeks, an abscess has developed...and a root canal is required.  The moral of the story is:  Be true to your teeth, and they won't be false to you.  If you are postponing a dental appointment, "STOP IT!" (inside joke for any Tri Lakes Chapel folks). 

I'll try to think of a positive spin on having a root canal...it will probably be a lot easier handling everything going on right now without a constant toothache distracting and annoying me. 

Tonight Joshua weighs 2545 grams, up 5 grams, to 5 lbs 9.77 oz.  So, maybe last night wasn't so far off.  He had one good feed today, when he nursed for 25 minutes.  Other than that, he wasn't very interested.  I think he is still recovering from his rough day yesterday.  Hopefully things will look up tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Hope your root canal went well. I'd rather have gone through that than labor today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too hate going to the dentist. I will be thinking of you. Lots of positive self talk-channel your inner Stuart Smalley. Good luck!

    Amanda Robertson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wait, I just realized this post was from yesterday. Sorry. Hope it went well, and that you were able to channel your inner Stuart Smalley even without my advice.

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate, hate the dentist. I actually like my dentist but hate going in because I always get bad news so I can feel your pain. I feel like I live there theses days and always leave with a stress induced headache from white knuckles the whole time. Last time they gave me three shots and I still was feeling everything! -Amy Salzwedel

    ReplyDelete