Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Rough Day For the Bales Boys

Jeremiah was sick today.  Poor thing, he was not at all like his usual energetic self.  He just wanted to cuddle all morning.  He was crabby when he woke up, so I knew something was wrong because he usually wakes up happy.  My suspicions were confirmed when he threw up at the breakfast table...and again...and again in the living room.  I was marveling at how my attitude has changed over the years.  In the distant past, I would have been so grossed out, but today I was sitting at the table, my clothes all soaked in vomit, and it didn't even phase me.  I must have "mom blood" flowing through my veins. Plus, I dare say, I can multitask with the best of them.  I was pumping, eating breakfast, comforting Jeremiah and cleaning up puke all at the same time. Ok, since there was a big puddle of it in my lap, my mom assisted with the latter (the "mom blood" does not disappear when you become a grandma, I guess).  Thankfully, by this afternoon, he was acting like nothing was wrong.  Amazing how kids can bounce back so quickly!

Then there's Joshua.  He had a rough day today.  Last night he got his two month immunizations (so much for Happy Birthday), so he was pretty fussy today.  I think he just wanted to cuddle, too.  Since I couldn't be two places at once, I called up my Deputy Mom, Grandma Gus, to step up for cuddle duty.  She spent most of the day in the NICU while I was with Jeremiah at home.  James was able to stop by between Warrior Games events, and he was here for the next rough part of Joshua's day, his circumcision.  I guess since he's already miserable from the shots and taking Tylenol for that, might as well get it all over with at once. 

Now I'm in the NICU.  I just tried feeding Joshua, and he didn't want to have anything to do with it, so he started crying and pulling away from me.  Before I could stop him, he reached up and yanked off the tape and his NG tube.  Ouch!  It just tore right off.  Such a strong baby!  Whenever he needs that dressing changed, we do it so slowly and gently. This time, he did it, and he pulled some skin off with it.  It broke my heart to see him screaming bloody murder, much harder than I've ever seen him scream.  Oh poor kiddo, he just needs to start fresh with a new day. 

I'm not sure what's up with the scale here, but Joshua supposedly gained 130 grams (over 4 oz) since last night, now up to 2540 grams or 5 lbs 9.6 oz. I had the nurse redo it because there is no way he would have gained that much.  Sure enough, that's exactly what it was the second time.  So either last night's 10 gram gain was wrong, or something's up with the scale. I don't buy it.  We'll see what tomorrow's weight is. There's a reason they look at weekly trends in weight rather than day to day. 

I just reread this before posting, and it made me think...what a glamorous life I live!  Oh boy, pretty pathetic. The funny thing is, as unglamorous as this all seems, it was a great day.  James and I got to make a quick trip to Chipotle together, and we were marveling over how long it has been since we had a real date, alone together.  Of course we spent the whole time talking about the kids we were missing, but it was still fun.  That little break made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment