Monday, May 7, 2012

DUE DATE!

Today's the day!  This is the date circled on my calendar that says, "DUE DATE!!!!"  Little did I know, when I wrote that last fall, that Joshua would be over 2 months old by this date.  Today one of the nurses said happy birthday and sighed and said, "You wouldn't have wanted to be in labor today, anyway. It's so gray and rainy out there."  I appreciated the sentiment and didn't mention that I thought yesterday sure would have been a nice sunny, perfect for labor, day. 

I have heard other preemie moms say as soon as their babies hit the due date, things just click, and they suddenly eat really well.  I'm hoping that's the case for us, too.  Today, Joshua hasn't been eating quite as well as he did yesterday. Here's the good news: a new doctor rotated onto Joshua's team, and she recommended we do a 48 hour trial of "ad-lib demand."  That means rather than waking him up to eat every three hours, he runs the show and tells us when he wants to eat, basically like a normal newborn. It also means he won't have to get an exact amount (like the current 51 mL), so we'll just give him as much as he wants.  I'm super excited about this because of the 10 babies next door that I've seen come and go, they switch to "ad-lib demand" right before they go home.  It's a guarded enthusiasm, though, because the doctor stressed to me that this is just a TRIAL to see how he handles it and if can gain weight well on this regimen. 

Last night, he weighed the same as the night before, 2550 g or 5 lbs 10 oz. 

Jeremiah had a big day today.  This morning I took him to Sport Clipss for his first professional haircut.  We had the best stylist, Karen. At first, Jeremiah wasn't very excited about it, and he didn't want to sit in the chair or wear the cape.  Then Karen just got down on the floor and started playing with him and reading to him, and every now and then she'd sneak in a snip here and there.  I don't think he even realized he was getting his hair cut.

First Haircut!


After we got home, Jeremiah found a new "hat," and he danced around doing his version of the salsa. (Get it?  It's a bag of tortilla chips.  Chips and salsa.  Ha ha).


2 comments:

  1. I can't stop laughing at that Jeremiah with the chip bag on his head. He thinks he's so clever!
    Hang in there with the feedings. I think it will go great as soon as Little Gus gets in charge. Love you!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!!!! I'm so happy that they're letting you try ad lib. That has to be a great feeling. I know it's necessary when they're really little, but it does start to feel ridiculous feeding them on such a rigid schedule once they get bigger. Love the pics of Jeremiah-how fun that the stylist was so in tune with him :)

    Praying that things go well!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete