Friday, May 4, 2012

Spas and Slumber Parties

Boy, don't I feel silly after my "freakout 2000" yesterday! No sweat! My morning felt more like a day at the spa than at the endodontist's office!  I guess I was wrong. I'll take a root canal over labor any day. Let's just say I'm a big fan of nitrous oxide, and I didn't feel a thing.  Between the catnaps and watching HGTV on the tv in the ceiling, I was disappointed when it was all over. I quite enjoyed my carefree visit to La La Land!  BTW, does it mean I'm old when I look at my dentist (who looks just like Tim Tebow) and think he looks too young to be doing this? Yep, I thought so. 

Speaking of labor, I have several friends (all from different aspects of my life) who have had beautiful babies over the past couple of days. Kara, Kim, Suzy, and Janelle and I were all due within a few days of each other.  I felt bad dropping out of the race...no, actually demolishing the competition with my speedy finish (ha!), but now it's fun to be back in the groove with them. I'm the seasoned veteran, looking back on the cramping and sore nipples as a distant memory while they're in the trenches now.  Hang in there, ladies! I'm excited for you!  Looking at pictures, it's fun for me to see how Joshua fits right in with his cohorts, almost as big, too. 

It took me awhile to get over the mourning of the premature ending of my pregnancy. Don't get me wrong. I was excited to have Joshua. I just felt like I missed out on wearing my maternity clothes and showing off my baby bump, nesting, all that fun stuff.  My friend Amanda, who is going through a remarkably similar journey right now, opened my eyes to a new perspective.  What a blessing it has been to be able to watch Joshua developing and growing so much over the past 10 weeks! It has been a great opportunity to watch the miracle of life unfold right in front of me.  Not many people get the opportunity to see their babies up close and personal during this important time of growth, and I've seen it live, not through an ultrasound, every day. Of course I'd prefer a normal, full term delivery, but since that wasn't an option for us, this is a good way to look at it.

Joshua had a better day feeding today. Out of a total of 51 mL per feed, he drank 47, 32, and 44 at 9:00, 12:00, and 3:00, respectively (the remainder given through his NG tube).  Then I came in at 6:00, and he had a full feed nursing. He has been sleeping ever since, and it's almost time for his 9:00 feed, so he must have gotten a nice and full tummy.  We're getting closer to our goal of 100% non-NG feeds, our last hurdle to going home.  Tonight he weighs 2500 grams, or 5 lbs 8 oz, so he lost 1.5 oz. Given that huge gain he had two nights ago, that's not surprising.

I'll be busy tomorrow afternoon and evening, so I can only be at the hospital in the morning. I decided to just stay overnight tonight to avoid the drive home and back here in the morning.  Joshua and I get to have a little slumber party! I'm thinking popcorn, movies, and braiding each other's hair are on the agenda. I might even giggle and talk about how hot James Bales is.  We'll see how it goes. So far, Joshua's a bit of a party POOPER (pun definitely intended) sleeping the whole time, so I may adjust my plans to include lots of sleeping.  Aaaaaah, I like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment