Saturday, May 12, 2012

Our Six Pounder

Last night, Joshua gained over 3 oz (100 g)!  He flew right past the 6 lb milestone, and he's 6 lbs 2.8 oz, or 2800 g.  I think taking a break from feeding over the past couple of days allowed him to conserve energy and just relax and grow, rather than burning calories by getting all worked up trying to eat.  Right now, he is sleeping on my chest while I'm lying back in the recliner with my laptop propped up on a pillow.  It has been a long time since he has been so content, sleeping on me. 

Today he has been like a different baby with his feeds.  I have nursed him twice today, and each time he latched on right away without fussing, and he drank a full feed the first time and almost full the second time before he fell asleep.  The change could be due to the medication they started last night (Prevacid) for his reflux, but that medicine takes a few days to reach its full effect.  I tried a new way of nursing, the "football hold," where he is upright along side of me while he eats. I think it is so much more comfortable for him because when he lies on his side, the food comes back up along with some acid.  Whatever the reason may be, it has been a lot more fun for both of us today than it has over the past few weeks.

The new plan is to reassess on Monday and see if he may be able to try ad-lib demand feeding again. Once he can do that for 48 hours, he'll be able to go home.  I'm not going to try to rush things, but it sure would be nice to have our family all together under one roof. 

That's all I have to say about that...

No comments:

Post a Comment