Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Food Fairy

Um, about that plan for lots of sleeping last night...not so much.  Oh boy, it was rough. I don't know what was up, but Joshua was so fussy!  He flat out refused to eat (bottle and breast) at 12 and 3, and he nursed for 12 minutes at 6:00.  I did not have fun at all. Ok, I know it's not all about me having fun, but a little sleep, at least, would have been nice.  Poor little guy had even less fun because he was inconsolable for most of the night. I can't think of an excuse because his circ site is healing so well, and it has been a few days since the shots.  Maybe it was the gas.  Who knows?  Hopefully it was just a fluke night.

The other day, Joshua's nurse posted a sign with this poem above his crib. This is one of several nurses I love. She enthusiastically does things beyond her job description, even making Joshua a homemade Wubbanub.  Anyway, about the sign on his crib...as legend has it, once the sign is posted, the Food Fairy comes, and then something clicks, and the baby eats well and goes home soon. I thought it was kind of cute. 

Dear Food Fairy

I know that I came a little early
And I need to eat more than I do.
It's a lot to learn and I'm trying hard
And I could use a little help from you.

Teach me to nurse or feed from the bottle;
That'll help me gain a little weight.
Give me the edge so I can go home
My parents think that would be great!

So please, Food Fairy, if you have the time
To stop by my crib tonight
To do your magic and sprinkle your dust
I'll do my best tomorrow to get it right.

Love from,
Joshua
(A baby who just wants to go home)


This morning before I left, I was able to nurse Joshua for 22 minutes, a full feed.  That was great. I just talked to Joshua's nurse, and the last two feeds didn't go well at all. He just fought the bottle, so he only got 11 mL and 6 mL. He is a rare case to take the breast better than the bottle.  It's getting a little harder to be patient.  Our going home relies solely on his ability to eat on his own, and we have no control over that.  Just when we think he's starting to get it, he seems to take a step back.  Please pray for him to catch on to this important skill.  We really don't want him to need a G-tube surgically placed, and that's the next step if he reaches 42 weeks without 100% full feeds.  That gives him 2 more weeks to figure it out.
Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment