Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Getting Closer

A few days ago, I was excited Joshua was described as "big and healthy."  Now he has a new name.  When I called in this morning, the nurse said, "Is this the mother of our SUPERSTAR?"  I like that name.  He really is a star with this new ad-lib demand feeding plan.  He is thriving on making his own schedule.  He is a Bales, after all, so he likes to be in control.  I wouldn't want someone waking me up from a deep sleep to force food into my tummy if I wasn't hungry, either.  He is taking full bottles every 2.5 - 4 hours, and last night he gained 60 grams or 2 oz, to total 2610 g or 5 lbs 12 oz.  He is no longer < (less than) 3rd percentile.  He's now a rock solid 3rd percentile.  Obviously that's not huge, but it's nice he's back on the growth chart.  It's big enough to stop the beneprotein, another gas inducing (in my opinion) additive to make him gain weight.  His MCT oil (fat) was stopped a few days ago.  They are still keeping him on 28 cal (extra calories added to my breastmilk), but eventually that should be weaned down as he grows more.

I almost forgot the most exciting part.  They pulled his NG tube. Now we know for sure he's getting 100% of his feeds on his own.  Whoever said things just seem to click on the due date seems to be right.

I guess we're freaking out some of the ancillary staff because there's a huge checklist of things they need to do before we go home, and they thought they had weeks to get it done. Now it's down to days, so they are hustling around.  It's like once a baby is considered "ad lib demand," one foot is out the door.  Very exciting! 

Today my sister Greta came to visit for a couple of days.  It was fun for me to hang out with her in Joshua's room, and it was fun for Joshua to see her now that he's bigger.  James pointed out that Greta being here is a good sign because we tend to have babies or bring them home right after she leaves.  With Jeremiah, she took her week of vacation time to visit the week after his due date, and he was born the day after she left.  She visited us in February, and within days after she left, Joshua was born.  So now we figure she'll leave Thursday, so that probably means he'll come home soon. 

We shall see.....

4 comments:

  1. Grandpa Gus wants you to know how proud of you he is? That's so great that you are eating on your own and gaining weight. I wouldn't want to be woken up to eat either. Keep eating and growing. We love you and want you to be able to go home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such good news, Karrn! So happy for you and for your superstar little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEA! What a great report! Hoping to hear he's home soon!

    ReplyDelete