Saturday, May 19, 2012

Dreary Day

Well, not much to report today except it was a bit of a rough one for Joshua.  Not really bad, just an off day. All day, he was either sleeping or crying, just unsettled.  The feedings didn't go super well.  He ate about half of his feeds with the bottle overnight, and the rest had to be gavaged through the NG tube. He hasn't wanted to nurse with me, but he has taken most of the bottles for me.  He has another feed coming up soon, so hopefully that will go well. 

The weather today is really dreary, gray and rainy.  The nurse said the babies often react to the change in the barometric pressure, so maybe that's why he was fussy.  I'm not sure about the science behind that, but it sounds like a good excuse to me.  After yesterday going so well, today was a bit of a downer.  But that's the NICU life.  I'll take a "bit of a downer" over a NEC or pneumonia scare any day, so I shouldn't complain. 

Sounds like the plan is for me to room in for 24 hours from Monday to Tuesday.  They just want to see if he does better with breastfeeding, and they want to see if he can gain weight with more breast feeds.  I keep thinking we're nearing the end of the NICU, and rooming in is usually the last step.  We'll see how that goes.  I am getting a little stir crazy in this little room, and 24 hours here isn't too exciting to me, but if it means going home soon, I'm all in.

Last night he gained 15 grams, up to 2800 grams, still 6 lbs 3 oz. 

1 comment:

  1. The barometric pressure thing sounds good to me. We had an unsettled day weather-wise, too, and it definitely affected me! Continuing to pray for you.

    ReplyDelete